The head of the World Food Programme (WFP) said on 27 August, Thursday that it was "very evident" during her visit to Gaza this week that there isn't enough food in Palestine. She added that she spoke with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu about the urgent need for more aid.
The world's leading authority on food crises said last week that the Gaza Strip's largest city is gripped by famine, and that it was likely to spread across the territory without a ceasefire and an end to restrictions on humanitarian aid.
Cindy McCain, the UN food agency executive director, told the Associated Press that starvation was underway in Gaza.
“I personally met mothers and children who were starving in Gaza," she said. "It is real and it is happening now.”
‘Skin stretched over protruding bones’: Doctors bear witness to Gaza starvationNetanyahu, she said, was “obviously very concerned that people aren't getting enough food”.
In the past, he has denied that there is famine in Gaza and said the claims about starvation are a propaganda campaign launched by Hamas.
“We agreed that we must immediately redouble our efforts to get more humanitarian aid in. Access and security for our convoys is critical,” McCain said.
Pressure on IsraelThe famine declaration has increased international pressure on Israel, which has been fighting Hamas since the militant group's 7 October 2023 attack. Israel now says it plans to seize Gaza City and other Hamas strongholds, and there have been no public signs of progress on recent efforts for a ceasefire.
Israel rejects the declaration — issued by the authority on food crises known as the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, or IPC — and on 27 August, Wednesday, asked for a formal retraction.
A new satellite analysis by @FAO shows catastrophic damage in local food production systems in the #GazaStrip:
— FAO Brussels (@FAOBrussels) August 7, 2024
🔴 57% of total cropland damaged
🔴 33% of greenhouses destroyed
To read more & see how FAO is responding 👉🏼 https://t.co/CR1wVI3arn pic.twitter.com/yoJVNJ3wCv
The Israeli military agency in charge of transferring aid to the territory, known as COGAT, said on 28 August, Thursday, that more than 300 humanitarian aid trucks enter Gaza every day, most of them carrying food.
But aid groups say it's not nearly enough after 22 months of fighting, the blockade of aid earlier this year and the collapse of food production in Gaza.
IDF claims it'll allow airdropping 7 pallets of food on Gaza tonight
— Muhammad Shehada (@muhammadshehad2) July 26, 2025
That means less than a single truckload, which means less than 6.25 grams of food per person (less than a single rice cracker)
It's less than 0.2% of what Gaza needs for basic survival
A PR stunt!
McCain spent most of 26 August, Tuesday, on a tour of Gaza speaking to displaced families living in tents and facing hunger.
“I got to meet a family who had come from the North, there were 11 of them, and they'd come from the North and they literally had not had enough food at all and they still don't have enough food," she said.
McCain said her programme is getting more food in to Gaza, but said a surge in food supplies was needed.
A present-day catastropheA new satellite imagery analysis by Dr. He Yin of Kent State University shows that nearly all of Gaza's crops, tree cover and grassland have been damaged in Israel's invasion — devastation that some have said should be prosecuted as "ecocide." pic.twitter.com/7KHlr7Igec
— Evan Hill (@evanhill) June 11, 2025
UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres said famine in Gaza is “a present-day catastrophe" and the start of expanded Israeli military operations present “a new and dangerous phase”.
He said it will have “devastating consequences" and force hundreds of thousands of traumatised and exhausted civilians to flee again.
“Gaza is piled with rubble, piled with bodies, and piled with examples of what may be serious violations of international law,” he said.
Israel, as the occupying Power, has clear obligations.
— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) August 28, 2025
It must ensure the provision of food, water, medicine, and other essentials.
It must agree to and facilitate far greater humanitarian access.
It must protect civilians and civilian infrastructure.
And it must end the… pic.twitter.com/XweX6BV0Hf
Mediators Egypt and Qatar were still waiting for Israel's response to a 60-day ceasefire proposal in Gaza, which has been accepted by Hamas, Qatari foreign minister said on 28 August, Thursday.
The proposal, which Egyptian and Qatari mediators delivered to Israel earlier this month, calls for a 60-day ceasefire in exchange for the release of 10 living hostages and the handover of bodies of 18 dead ones, according to Arab mediators. It also calls for the withdrawal of Israeli forces to a buffer zone on Gaza.
Exchanges with Yemen's Houthi rebels‘Don’t weaponize Gaza’s starvation to spread hate in India.’ - Prof VK Tripathi
— Rakhi Tripathi (@rakhitripathi) August 25, 2025
The right wing has no concern for Gaza’s suffering—it only twists the issue to target minorities and people with low incomes. Speaking for Gaza means two battles: standing with its people and fighting… pic.twitter.com/21EQqBntP1
Also on Thursday, Israeli airstrikes hit the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, in response to attacks by the Arab country's Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who have launched missiles and drones toward Israel and targeted ships in the Red Sea for over 22 months. The Houthis say the attacks are in solidarity with Palestinians.
Yemen’s Houthi group claims missile strike on Israel’s Ben Gurion airportNearly 63,000 people have been killed in Gaza since the war began, according to the Palestinian health ministry in Gaza. The agency reported that 71 people were killed by Israeli strikes over the past day, while scores more were injured. While the ministry does not differentiate between civilians and combatants, it says more than half of the dead were women and children.
The ministry is part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals. The United Nations and independent experts consider it the most reliable source on war casualties. Israel disputes its figures but has not provided its own.
Hamas-led militants abducted 251 people and killed around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in the 7 October 2023 attack that triggered this latest war. Most of the hostages have been released in ceasefires or other deals. Of the 50 remaining in Gaza, Israel believes around 20 are alive.
UN chief Guterres has said that Israel, as the occupying power, has obligations to protect civilians, facilitate far greater humanitarian access and meet their essential needs.
The systematic dismantling of systems that provide food water and healthcare, Guterres said, “are the result of deliberate decisions that defy basic humanity”.
From the ‘human animals’ and ‘children of darkness’: Palestine’s appeal to Israel’s citizens Why the US can but won’t stop IsraelYou may also like
Uttarakhand CM Pushkar Singh Dhami orders swift relief, rescue operations after cloudbursts in multiple districts
BRICS nations surpass G7 in global output: US economist
NIA arrests key accused in Muzaffarpur AK-47 seizure case
Shubman Gill's health deteriorated... out of the tournament, captain changed; know why a big decision was taken?
Lulu Guinness tote bag that's a 'perfect size' and 'holds everything' is selling fast